- About us History Header
- You are here:
- About Us
Blackheath High School was opened on 7 January 1880 by Queen Victoria’s daughter, Princess Louise, as the first purpose-built school set up by the Girls' Day School Trust (GDST).
The GDST (then known as the Girls' Public Day School Trust) was established to provide girls' schools across the country where sufficient local demand existed. The parents in Blackheath, a well-to-do London suburb of large family houses, responded to this opportunity. By 1878 plans had been laid for a purpose-built school in Wemyss Road in the heart of the village.
The Trust went on to establish a family of 26 schools throughout the UK.
In 1994, Blackheath High Senior department moved across the Heath into Vanbrugh Park where it remains today. A fully-equipped resource centre and a new performing arts centre have been added to this historical site. The Junior school remains housed in the original Wemyss Road site, together with a modern purpose-built nursery.
|Dr Allen's History of the school1880||2 MB||Download|